How long to wait to adopt

Hi, my husband and I had to put down our beloved boy who gave us 14 years of absolute joy. I am ready to adopt another dog but my husband said he will never again own a dog bc the pain of loss is too great. Has anyone else out there felt this way after losing a pet and later changed their mind, adopting another pet? I know my husband is hurting far more than I am so I am not approaching the subject quite yet but can’t bear the thought of being a dog free home.

2 Likes

We have a one little boy available .10weeks old ,he is Bichon X Maltese very sweet and healthy do you want to adopt him ?

Hi Carrie,

As much cH as I would love to adopt another little one, I need to wait until my husband is ready.

1 Like

I’m so sorry for your loss!

My parents-in-law also had to put down their very good boy due to old age as well recently.

Take as much time as you need to heal and I’m sure that adding to your family again may be an option in the future!

Adopting too close to the passing may feel like trying to “replace” what was lost.

It is important to make the time for grieving, in order to be able to properly move forward again, regardless if there is a solid plan to bring in another dog or not.

Best wishes to you and your husband through this time!

1 Like