Labraheeler Help

I have a Female Labraheeler that will be 3 on the 18th of September.
Up until this past weekend I have had no issues with Her. She has been a very loving Dog to myself, Grandchildren and others she has met. I also have a Chocolate Male 2 year old Lab that She is good with.
However last weekend while We were Camping She broke her line and attacked a Yorkie. This was Shocking and totally unexpected as this Yorkie walked by many times before with no issues.
I am really hoping to rehome Her or them to the right Fur Parents where She will not be around other Dogs so something like this never happens again.
Do you have any Advise or Help to Save my Fur Baby?
Thank You for any help you may be able to Give to a Broken Hearted Fur Mom.
I am located in Nova Scotia

Sorry to hear about this situation with your Labraheeler. It’s always heartbreaking when a pet’s behaviour takes a sudden, unexpected turn. Here are some steps that might help you address this issue and hopefully save your fur baby.

Consult a veterinarian. Sometimes pain, hormonal changes, or an underlying condition can trigger sudden aggression.

Also, look for a professional dog trainer. They could help you identify the root cause of the aggression and then offer guidance on managing it.

Alternatively, rescue organizations deal with dog behaviour all the time, they would have some tips for you.

Hi there,
Long story but we had a similar situation of a generally gentle dog, unexpectedly and unprovoked attacking another dog, only in our case it was our own dog. We reached out to our vet, and sadly learned that once this has happened you cannot presume that the issue is with the small dog, but rather is an indication that there was a mental illness setting into our once lovely dog. The vet explained that once this kind of change has happened, you cannot assume that it will be in the future limited to small dogs…it can then include risk to small children, women and then the man of the house. Our vet gave us examples from clients of his and his own experience when he rehomed one of his own dogs with a college only to have that colleague’s child threatened by the dog. So, I would recommend talking to your vet before you choose the next home for her. It is a tough situation, for all…especially for your dog.

1 Like